Skip til hoved indholdet

Life in Denmark



A guide for EU / EEA citizen or Nordic citizen


Our wish is that you get a warm welcome on our island and that your transition will go as smoothly as possible.

Therefore we want you to consider these important steps on how you - as an EU / EEA citizen or Nordic citizen – should start your process of moving to Denmark.

We want you to know, that you are entitled to live and work in Denmark. However, if you intend to stay in Denmark for more than three months, you must apply for an EU residence permit. For job seekers, it is within six months.


If you decide to apply for a residence permit, do the following:

Book an appointment with SIRI, which is the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration.

You can submit your application to SIRI at six different locations in Denmark. The nearest to Ærø is situated in Odense.

You must appear in person at the agreed time and bring:

  • Passport / ID card
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate / divorce certificate
  • Proof that you can support yourself financially in the coming months:
    • copy of bank account (where the owner and bank is visible), or
    • if you are self-employed: income from the company, or
    • a 3-month employment contract


After you have received an EU residence permit from SIRI, you must meet in person at Citizen Service in your new municipality of residence:

Ærø Kommune, Borgerservice, Statene 2, 5970 Ærøskøbing

Here you can get a Danish social security number (CPR) and a health insurance card that gives access to Danish general practitioners and the Danish hospital system.

Citizen Service will require proof that you are in fact moving to Denmark.

Therefore, bring - in addition to the residence permit - the following:

  • a lease of at least 3 months and / or
  • a purchase contract with a registered deed if you buy property in DK

We must emphasize that it is important that you intend to stay in Denmark after you have received a social security number.


Welcome to Ærø



If you are a citizen of an EU country, an EEA country or Switzerland, you can reside in Denmark under EU regulations.

You can also reside in Denmark under EU regulations, if you are a family member to an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen. As a family member you do not have to be an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen. is the official portal for foreign nationals who wish to visit, live or work in Denmark.

An application page on contains all necessary information on how to apply for an EU residence document. Here you will also find the relevant application form, in addition to a step-by-step guide to successfully submitting the application.