Settlers Guide



Our wish is that you get a warm welcome on our island and that your move will go as smoothly as possible!

That is why we have made this guide with important information on how you - as an EU / EEA citizen or Nordic citizen – should start your process of moving to Denmark.

EU / EEA citizen or Nordic citizen

We want you to know, that you are entitled to live and work in Denmark.

However, if you intend to stay in Denmark for more than three months, you must apply for an EU residence permit.

For job seekers, it is within six months.

You are welcome to download this document, which provides information on which steps to take as an EU or Nordic citizen moving to Ærø.

Settlers Guide


We must emphasize that it is important that you intend to stay in Denmark after you have received a social security number.

Welcome to Ærø


ICS - The first step to a life in Denmark

As a first step, we recommend that you visit the International Citizen Service.

Here you will find useful links and helpful information to help you deal with the documents needed.

The authorities that are part of ICS:


CPR Number

Health card / health insurance certificate




Danish tax affairs